Published: Sat, November 10, 2018
Worldwide | By Victor Meyer

Australia terror attack leaves one dead, 2 injured in stabbing spree

Australia terror attack leaves one dead, 2 injured in stabbing spree

Memories remain fresh of a fatal but not terror-related attack on the same street a year ago, in which a man drove his vehicle at pedestrians at high speed, killing six people and wounding about 30.

Policemen block members of the public from walking towards the Bourke Street mall in central Melbourne, Australia, November 9, 2018.

A 26-year-old man and a 58-year-old, said to be Tasmanian businessman Rod Patterson, were taken to hospital with what police said were non-life threatening injuries following the attack. "He was radicalized", Australian Federal Police Acting Deputy Commissioner Ian McCartney told reporters in Melbourne.

It is believed Shire Ali most commonly attended prayer in Melbourne's northern suburbs. Investigators believe terrorism is a likely motive. The terrorist died later in the hospital.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) claimed responsibility.

- The terrorist has been named as 30-year-old Somali-born Hassan Khalif Shire Ali.

During the attack, police and civilians tried to subdue Shire Ali before a new police member, only three months out of the academy, shot him in the chest.

Unverified, gruesome video shared online showed a vehicle on fire pulled over to the street of the street.

The area was crowded with pedestrians who described hearing explosions and seeing a man stabbing others before lunging at police with a knife.

The horrifying scene was over in a matter of minutes after police shot the attacker, who died after being rushed to the hospital under police guard.

(9News) There is a heavy police presence at both homes.

Villasin said bystanders were screaming at police to shoot the knifeman. "Nearly within a minute, Victorian Police officers were in attendance in an unmarked vehicle", Ashton said.

Bourke Street has since been reopened, and residents of Melbourne are advised that planned weekend events at Flemington and Remembrance Day commemorations will still go ahead as planned.

Police confirmed Shire Ali's name and age on Saturday morning after incorrect information was circulated through media reports.

More news: Unusual Sculpture Of Liverpool Star Mohamed Salah Gets Mocked On Twitter

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said the attack was "an evil, terrifying thing that's happened in our city".

"But we also thank the police who did us proud in very unsafe circumstances".

Victoria's opposition leader, Matthew Guy also denounced the attack.

"But here in Australia, we would be kidding ourselves if we did not call out the fact that the greatest threat of religious extremism in this country is the radical and unsafe ideology of extremist Islam", he said.

"We're not saying there was direct contact".

"We are treating this as a terrorism incident", Ashton said, and added that the attacker's identity is not being released due to the ongoing investigation.

He said he had been briefed by law enforcement and security agencies and acknowledged the investigation by the Joint Counter Terrorism Team, led by Victoria Police.

Warning text messages were sent after the attack and police sealed off the downtown area, usually busy with shoppers and diners on a Friday evening.

"Our thoughts are with everybody affected, including family and friends".

"I need to call it out".

"We need to understand and become familiar with risks and hazards".

Trauma specialist, Rob Gordon, urged the Melbourne community to learn from the incident and be aware of dangers, but to also not let fear dictate.

"It's very important to recognise that we live with all sorts of hazards but we do it successfully by being aware and understanding and careful".

Like this: