Published: Tue, August 07, 2018
Sport | By Floyd Cook

UFC will not discipline Conor McGregor for bus attack

UFC will not discipline Conor McGregor for bus attack

Once McGregor resolved to return to the octagon earlier this year, Nurmagomedov was the obvious choice to be his next opponent - but the biggest obstacle to this bout appeared to be money.

With McGregor cleared of criminal charges in the attack in late July, all that was left was to set a date and location for the fight. During the press conference, Dana White was asked if he had a main event booked for UFC 229, and White said that he didn't.

Nurmagomedov (26-0), who wasn't actually on the bus, won the vacant lightweight belt by beating Al Iaquinta in Brooklyn two days after McGregor's attack, which injured uninvolved fighters Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg.

McGregor has posted several photos on social media this week hyping his physical fitness in advance of the announcement, which neither fighter attended.

Around this time previous year, McGregor was in Los Angeles alongside Floyd Mayweather at a massive press event.

The UFC dramatically announced the matchup on Friday with a promotional video to close a news conference promoting its fight cards for the rest of 2018.

Conor McGregor will make his eagerly-anticipated UFC comeback as he attempts to wrest the lightweight title from the man who succeeded him as top dog in the division.

More news: Livescore: Result of Manchester United vs Bayern Munich

The last time McGregor was in the Octagon, he scored a 2nd round knockout over lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez to become the first fighter to hold two world titles simultaneously. However, considering that fight takes place on October 6, a one or two-month turnaround to fight arguably the greatest fighter to ever grace an Octagon might be too much of an ask for the victor.

The former UFC welterweight and middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre spoke to Submission Radio for a recent interview and admitted that he would be interested in taking on the victor of the UFC 229 main-event.

In an interview with TMZ, Diaz said the lawsuit was settled a month ago and criticized the UFC for their lack of promotion. "I don't know why nobody told you guys that". Mayweather vs. McGregor was an event first and foremost, and whether or not a competitive fight ever came out of it was never really the point.

While St-Pierre has never made the cut down to 155 pounds before, he says it might be worth it for that particular fight, although he's not sure the UFC would give it to him.

Added Poirier: "We're going to show up, I promise you that. It's good to have Nate back".

The battle will be far from a cakewalk for McGregor.

Like this: