Published: Thu, April 12, 2018
Worldwide | By Victor Meyer

Alleged Toronto serial killer facing another charge

Alleged Toronto serial killer facing another charge

Alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur is now facing a seventh premeditated murder charge while the investigative team is combing through cold cases from mid-1970s to late 1990s in search other potential cases connected to the 66-year-old Toronto landscaper, Toronto police said Wednesday.

The prosecution said in court Wednesday that McArthur, a 66-year-old landscaper, has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Abdulbasir Faizi.

Since McArthur's arrest in January, police have found the remains of seven people in planters on a Toronto property where McArthur used to work.

He is also accused of killing Selim Esen, Andrew Kinsman, Soroush Mahmudi and Dean Lisowick.

Foremost is the newest murder charge against McArthur that has been made possible by the identification of another body.

McArthur was also charged in the death of Skandaraj Navaratnam in February.

Det. -Sgt Hank Idsinga, the lead investigator, told reporters the image was just one in a cache of photographs of alleged victims that McArthur kept on his computer.

More news: Champions League shocker: Roma ousts Barcelona with stunning win

Police are hoping to link the unidentified remains to the dead man in the photo, but are also looking for additional tips, he said.

They are also reviewing 15 unsolved murder investigations dating from 1975 to 1997.

Bruce McArthur, directly, Is Currently facing a murder charge in relation to the departure of Abdulbasir Faizi, left. They say he targeted men he met through dating apps that cater to gay men, meeting them at bars in the Gay Village area of Toronto, as well as male prostitutes.

The 44-year-old Brampton man vanished in December 2010 and his auto was later found on Moore Ave - near Mount Pleasant Rd. and St. Clair Ave. E.

No more remains have been found, but police are set to provide more information about those that have been uncovered.

In the wake of escalating questions about the investigations into the disappearances of the missing people from Toronto's Gay Village, the Toronto police board voted unanimously last month to commission an external investigation into how the force conducts missing-persons probes. McArthur was interviewed by police during that project but it was closed in 2014.

Since his arrest, questions have been mounting about past interactions between McArthur and police, following revelations that police questioned him in 2016 in connection to an alleged assault on another man but was let go.

Like this: