Published: Mon, April 09, 2018
Sport | By Floyd Cook

UFC Star McGregor Facing Assault Charges After Backstage Melee

UFC Star McGregor Facing Assault Charges After Backstage Melee

His court appearance is not expected to be lengthy, with a judge setting bail and a future court date and then releasing him.

If former UFC champion McGregor is looking for help from the organisation, he is out of luck, UFC president Dana White said on Friday.

"Conor and I talked through text yesterday".

The attack by McGregor and company led to three fights being pulled from the UFC card, which is set for this Saturday.

White said that he spoke with McGregor and that McGregor apologized for hurting fighters not involved in the feud but was not sorry for his actions, saying he believed they were necessary. "They jumped on a plane and they flew here".

McGregor and his entourage allegedly stormed the Barclay's Centre in Brooklyn ahead of UFC223 where Khabib Nurmagomedov was due to fight Max Holloway (that fight has since changed as Holloway failed to make weight). "It was just like we got jumped".

More news: Former South Korean president Park Geun-hye convicted, jailed for 24 years

The 29-year-old is facing charges of assault and criminal mischief. According to MMA Junkie, Anthony Pettis - who had been scheduled to fight Chiesa - has been called upon to fight Nurmagomedov, although reports indicated other fighters might still be chosen. The windshield of one bus was cracked, and two fighters sustained injuries that caused them to be dropped from the Saturday fight card. At one point he can be seen running for a dolly before picking it up and throwing it at the moving vehicle, breaking a window through which passengers can be seen. He's in bad shape.

Both were cut by glass, although Borg was left with a cut eyeball after glass that turned into dust scraped his cornea. A UFC staff member was cut on the hand.

Following McGregor's takeaway, McGregor mentioned his frustration on social media but then chose to crash the UFC 223 media event in, reportedly, a response for another incident that happened between his ally Artem Lobov and Nurmagomedov. "You's'll strip me of nothing", he tweeted, invoking an expletive.

Holloway was later ruled out of the fight because he was medically unstable.

"This is way bigger than 'are you going to fire the guy?' This is criminal", he said. "He's not a kid".

"I think there's a mutual respect between us", White said. "You know you don't like a Khabib and you don't like what happened or whatever, fight Khabib, you can come in here and do it legally".

Like this: