Published: Sat, February 17, 2018
Finance | By Gustavo Carr

Barry Bennell convicted on seven more charges

Barry Bennell convicted on seven more charges

Paedophile football coach Barry Bennell may have assaulted more than 100 boys during his reign of abuse, it can now be reported, after his latest trial came to an end.

Decades later, and now aged 64, Bennell was being made to pay for crimes that have sent shockwaves through British soccer.

A cheer of "yes" came from the public gallery where six victims sat with family members as the final verdicts were read out.

Following the conviction of Barry Bennell Detective Inspector Sarah Oliver from Cheshire police, who has been leading on the case, said: "Today Barry Bennell has been found guilty of committing sexual offences against young boys many years ago".

Before the trial started last month, he pleaded guilty to seven counts of indecent assault, including offences involving a 12th boy. He appeared in court via video-link for the trial, but has been ordered to attend sentencing in person. For decades that nightmare has haunted us.

"For decades we lived in fear".

"The stolen voices of a generation have been heard".

Andy Woodward, a victim of Barry Bennell, and partner Zelda leave Liverpool Crown Court.

In a statement issued this afternoon the club said that the review team that they set up in November 2016 had identified serious allegations of child sex abuse in respect of two identifiable individuals with potential historic connections to Manchester City.

More news: In Nirav Modi Raids, Jewellery And Gold Worth Rs 5,100 Crore Seized

Mr Grimsley, a youth team coach, and the family of chief scout and ex-player Mr Barnes, who died in 2010, have said they were unaware of any abuse.

Revelations about the abuse suffered at the hands of Bennell triggered a wave of other former youth footballers to come forward and speak publicly for the first time about the ordeals they suffered.

Bennell, who is now known as Richard Jones, has been described by prosecutors as a "child molester on an industrial scale".

Former Crewe player Steve Walters, 46, said his parents trusted the club and thought he was safe, but for years, boys were systematically groomed "in plain view".

He said: "If we use our phones we can't take pictures of the children and put it on the Stoke City Twitter or Facebook page".

"How can it be that no one realised something was wrong?" How was it that no one protected us?

"All victims", City said in a statement, "were entitled to expect full protection from the kind of harm they endured".

He coached locally at Stoke City FC and Crewe Alexandra.

He regularly drove some of his victims to the club's then Maine Road stadium and Platt Lane training ground - although there was no evidence that abuse took place at either location.

Like this: