Published: Wed, January 10, 2018
Worldwide | By Victor Meyer

See teacher handcuffed after protesting superintendent's raise

See teacher handcuffed after protesting superintendent's raise

"I'm not - you just pushed me to the floor", Hargrave responds as the unnamed officer begins to push her towards the exit.

Deyshia Hargrave, an English language arts teacher at Rene Rost Middle School in Kaplan, Louisiana, was questioning a proposed $38,000 raise for the district superintendent during the meeting's public comment period when a city marshal asked her to leave. "We work very hard, with very little, to maintain the salaries we have".

Hargrave had spoken out against Superintendent Jerome Puyau receiving a pay increase in his new contract extension that was approved by the board Monday night.

She questioned the raise a time when pay teachers and other staff has stagnated, despite larger class sizes and improved outcomes for students.

"Sir, hold on, I am way smaller than you!" After Hargrave posed several questions, board president Anthony Fontana ruled Hargrave out of order, warning her that the public comment section was not for a question-and-answer session. KATC was at the meeting when the incident occurred, the video FULL VIDEO is below. She was then apprehended in the hallway.

More news: Police arrests four Kashmiri cricketers for respecting Pakistani national anthem

Following the freaky - and violent - arrest, Vermilion Parish School Board Superintendent Jerome Puyau told the local news outlet the district won't press charges against Hargrave.

He also added that the marshal who arrested Hargrave is a school officer employed by the school board who was "not acting in any official capacity on behalf of the city of Abbeville".

According to Ike Funderburk, Abbeville's city attorney and prosecutor, no charges will be filed against Hargrave.

While the board members did recognize it was the teacher's turn to speak, it's unclear if they called the marshal into the room to cut her off or if the officer acted on his own. The Abbeville Marshals Office have not returned phone calls seeking comment.

Like this: